Vizarsin is a medicine that contains the active substance sildenafil. It is available as white, oblong tablets (25, 50 and 100 mg).
Vizarsin is a “generic medicine”. This means that it is analogous to a “reference drug”, already authorized in the European Union (EU), called Viagra.
It helps to relax the blood vessels in the penis , allowing the blood supply to the penis when it is sexually stimulated. Vizarsin will help you to get an erection only if you are sexually stimulated.
Vizarsin is used to treat adult men with erectile dysfunction (also called impotence), which is the inability to achieve or maintain sufficient erection for satisfactory sexual activity. Sexual stimulation is necessary for Vizarsin to take effect. The medicine can only be obtained with a prescription.
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. If you are not sure, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. The recommended starting dose is 50 mg.
- Vizarsin should not be taken more than once a day.
- Do not take Vizarsin film-coated tablets in combination with VIAGRA orodispersible tablets.
- You must take Vizarsin about an hour before your planned sexual activity. Swallow the whole tablet with a glass of water .
- If you have the feeling that the effect of Vizarsin is too strong or too weak, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
- Vizarsin will help you to get an erection only if you are sexually stimulated. The time needed for Vizarsinto have its effect varies from person to person, but generally ranges from half an hour to an hour. The effect of Vizarsin could be obtained after a longer period of time if you have just consumed a substantial meal.
- If Vizarsin does not help you get an erection, or if your erection does not last long enough to complete sexual intercourse, tell your doctor.
- If Vizarsin is taken during a meal, its effect may occur late compared to fasting . Depending on efficacy and side effects, the dose may be increased to 100 mg or reduced to 25 mg. Patients with liver problems or severe kidney problems should start treatment with a dose of 25 mg. It is not recommended to take more than one tablet a day.
How does it work?
The active substance in Vizarsin, sildenafil , belongs to a group of medicines called phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors. The substance works by blocking the enzyme phosphodiesterase that normally reduces the levels of a substance called cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP). During normal sexual stimulation, the penis produces cGMP which causes the muscles of the spongy tissue of the penis (corpora cavernosa) to relax, allowing the flow of blood into the aforementioned bodies, which produces an erection . By blocking the reduction of cGMP, Vizarsin restores erectile function. Sexual stimulation is always necessary to produce an erection .
Because Vizarsin is a generic medicine, studies have been limited to tests to determine that it is bioequivalent to the reference medicine Viagra. Two medicines are bioequivalent when they produce the same levels of the active substance in the body.
Risks & Benefits
The Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) concluded that, in accordance with the requirements of EU regulations, Vizarsin has been shown to have comparable quality and to be bioequivalent to Viagra. It is therefore the CHMP’s opinion that, as in the case of Viagra, the benefits outweigh the identified risks. The Committee recommended that Vizarsin be given marketing authorization.
Do not take Vizarsin
- if you are allergic to sildenafil or any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
- if you are taking medicines called nitrates , because this combination can lead to a dangerous lowering of your blood pressure . Tell your doctor if you are taking any of these medicines that are often used to relieve angina pectoris (or ” chest pain “). If you are not sure, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
- if you are taking any of the medicines known as nitric oxide donors , such as amyl nitrite (“poppers”), because this association can also induce a dangerous lowering of blood pressure .
- if you have a serious problem with your heart or liver .
- if you have recently had a stroke or heart attack , or if you have low blood pressure .
- if you have a rare hereditary eye condition (such as retinitis pigmentosa ).
- if you have ever had vision loss due to non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION).
Precautions for use
What you need to know before you take Vizarsin
Talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse before taking Vizarsin
- if you have sickle cell anemia (an abnormality of red blood cells ), leukemia (cancer of the blood cells ), multiple myeloma (cancer of the bone marrow ).
- if you have a penile deformity or Peyronie’s disease .
- if you have heart problems. The doctor must carefully check that the conditions of the heart allow it to cope with the effort of intercourse.
- if you currently have a stomach ulcer , or coagulation problems (such as hemophilia ).
- if there is a sudden reduction or loss of vision, stop taking Vizarsin and contact your doctor immediately.
You must not use Vizarsin together with other oral or local treatments for erectile dysfunction.
You must not use Vizarsin together with treatments for pulmonary arterial hypertension (IAP) containing sildenafil or any other type 5 phosphodiesterase (PDE5) inhibitor.
You must not take Vizarsin if you do not have erectile dysfunction. You must not take Vizarsin if it is a woman.
Special precautions for patients with kidney or liver problems
If you have kidney or liver problems , you should inform your doctor. Your doctor may decide to give you a lower dose.
Children and adolescents
Vizarsin should not be given to individuals under the age of 18.
Which drugs or foods can affect the effect of Vizarsin
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines.
Vizarsin tablets may interfere with some medicines, particularly those used to treat chest pain. If a medical emergency occurs, you should inform your doctor, pharmacist or nurse who has taken Vizarsin and when you have used it. Do not take Vizarsin together with other medicines unless your doctor has authorized you.
You must not take Vizarsin if you are taking medicines called nitrates because the combination of these medicines can cause a dangerous drop in blood pressure. Tell your doctor, pharmacist or nurse if you are taking any of these medicines that are often used to relieve angina pectoris (or “chest pain”).
You should not take Vizarsin if you are using any of the medicines known as nitric oxide donors, such as amyl nitrite (“poppers”) because this combination can also lead to a dangerous drop in blood pressure.
If you are taking medicines called protease inhibitors , such as medicines to treat HIV , your doctor may initially prescribe Vizarsin at the lowest dose (25 mg).
Some patients treated with alpha-blockers for the treatment of high blood pressure or prostate enlargement may experience dizziness or confusion of the mind that may be caused by low blood pressure when sitting or standing up quickly. Some patients have reported these symptoms when they took Vizarsin together with alpha-blockers. This is most likely to happen within 4 hours of taking Vizarsin. To reduce the possibility of these symptoms, you must be on a regular dose of alpha-blocker before you start Vizarsin. Your doctor may start your treatment with a lower dose of Vizarsin (25 mg).
Vizarsin WITH FOOD , DRINK AND ALCOHOL
Vizarsin can be taken with or without food . However, you may notice that the onset of the Vizarsin effect may be slower if you take it after eating a substantial meal.
Consumption of alcoholic beverages may temporarily impair the ability to get an erection. To get the most benefit from this medicine, it is advisable to avoid consuming large amounts of alcohol before using Vizarsin.
It is important to know that:
PREGNANCY , LACTATION AND FERTILITY
The use of Vizarsin in women is not indicated.
DRIVING AND USING MACHINES
Vizarsin can cause dizziness and can impair vision. Before driving and using machinery, you must be aware of how you react to Vizarsin.
Vizarsin contains lactose
If your doctor has told you that you have an intolerance to some sugars , such as lactose, contact your doctor before taking Vizarsin.
What to do if you have taken too much Vizarsin
You may notice an increase in side effects and the severity of these effects. Doses greater than 100 mg do not increase efficacy.
Do not take more tablets than you have been prescribed by your doctor.
If you take more tablets than you are, contact your doctor.
If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor, pharmacist or nurse.
What are the side effects of Vizarsin
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. The side effects reported in association with the use of Vizarsin are usually mild to moderate and of short duration.
If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking Vizarsin and contact your doctor immediately:
- Allergic reaction – occurs with an uncommon frequency (may affect up to 1 in 100 people). Symptoms include sudden wheezing, difficulty breathing or dizziness, swelling of the eyelids , face, lips or throat.
- Chest pain – occurs uncommonly: If it occurs during or after intercourse:
- Take a semi-seated position and try to relax.
- Do not use nitrates to treat chest pain.
- Erections prolonged and sometimes painful – occur rarely (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people). If this type of erection remains uninterrupted for more than 4 hours, contact your doctor immediately.
- Sudden reduction or loss of vision – rarely occurs.
- Serious skin reactions – rarely occur. Symptoms may include severe exfoliation and swelling of the skin , vesicles of the mouth, genitals and around the eyes, fever .
- Convulsive crises or convulsions – rarely occur.