Enantyum is one of the most commonly used non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, along with ibuprofen and paracetamol.
Enantyum is a medicine whose generic name is known as dexketoprofen. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) and analgesic that is administered orally or in gel format.
It is used for the treatment of mild or moderate pain such as muscle pain, toothache or dysmenorrhea , although it is also used to combat pain in some postoperative periods.
This medicine inhibits the synthesis of prostaglandins, substances derived from fatty acids. Prostaglandins have a very important role in several biological processes such as:
- Contraction of the smooth muscle.
- Blood pressure.
- Secretion of gastric mucus.
- Corporal temperature regulation.
- They influence the sensation of pain.
However, enantyum should not be confused with ibuprofen or ketoprofen. Although both drugs are anti-inflammatory, having the enantyum possible side effects more serious than ibuprofen, is used for musculoskeletal and dental pain. It should not be taken without medical prescription.[irp posts=”4316″ name=”NSAIDs Reactions and Precautions to Consider before Use”]
Due to its composition , enantyum is a potent analgesic that is usually prescribed to treat pain such as :
- Menstrual : because the pain of the rule can lead to fatigue, nausea and even fainting. In addition, menstrual pain is the most recurrent example when talking about the utilities of enantyum.
- Muscular : this type of pain is typical of the blows or caused by fever. This medicine is used to treat them because of the anti-inflammatory effect of dexketoprofen. In case of being caused by bumps, injuries or overload, dexketoprofen gel may be recommended.
- Joint pain : some examples of this type of pain that can be relieved with enantyum are knee pain, arthritis, sprains or bursitis .
- Dental : among the possible dental pains, toothache is one in which this medicine is most effective.
Due to its potential side effects, it is not recommended to take enantyum or other NSAIDs to people who have certain diseases such as liver, heart or kidney failure. Also, people with asthma, gastrointestinal ulcer or Crohn’s disease will not be able to take it.
These contraindications respond to the potential harmful effects of enantyum for the vascular, respiratory and cardiac systems as well as for the liver and kidneys. In addition , this medication is not indicated for people:
- Allergic to dexketoprofen trometamol or any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
- Allergic to acetylsalicylic acid or another non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug.
- Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Under 18 years old.
- If you have systemic lupus erythematosus or mixed connective tissue disease.
- If you are taking other medications that increase the risk of peptic ulcer or bleeding such as oral corticosteroids.
As with all medications, there is a possibility that some people may experience side effects when taking enantyum. Of these adverse effects, we can distinguish between those frequent, rare and others that occur rarely.
Common adverse effects
It is common that the intake of this drug produces gastrointestinal problems such as:
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Stomach ache.
- Digestive disorders
These gastrointestinal problems are due to the suppression of gastroprotective prostaglandins.
Uncommon side effects
- Dizziness and vertigo.
- Sleep disorders and drowsiness.
- Hot flushes.
- Stomach problems.
- Feverish sensation and chills.
Very rare side effects
- Peptic ulcer. It affects the mucous lining the stomach and duodenum.
- Perforation of peptide ulcer or bleeding.
- Slow breathing
- High blood pressure.
- Fluid retention and peripheral swelling.
- Edema of larynx.
- Loss of appetite
- Pruritic rash (which produces itching).
- Frequent urination
- Low back pain
- Prostatic disorders
- Alterations menstrual .
- Hepatitis. It is metabolized in the liver so in cases of liver failure could accumulate in the body and cause inflammation in this organ.
- Acute renal failure . It is eliminated in the urine, so it could accumulate in the body.
On the other hand, when taking this medication, it is important to remember that adverse effects are more common in older people . In addition, Enantyum can negatively affect women with infertility problems, thus aggravating their problem.
You should also tell your doctor if you are using or have recently used other medicines, even if they are over the counter. This is because there are certain medications that should not be mixed .