The diet for uric acid should be low in meat, especially in viscera such as liver, kidneys and gizzards, as well as fish and seafood, as these foods are rich in purines, substances that increase uric acid levels in the blood.
In this diet it is also important to eat 2 to 3 liters of water per day and increase the consumption of foods rich in vitamin C, such as orange, pineapple, kiwi and acerola, as they assist in the elimination of uric acid by the kidneys and prevent the formation of kidney stones.
Table of Contents
Foods Allowed and Forbidden
Foods allowed and banned in the diet for uric acid vary according to their purine content, being divided as shown in the table below:
|Fruits, dried fruits and vegetables||Peas, beans, soybeans, corn, lentils, chickpeas||Sauces, Meat Broth, Beef Extract|
|White bread, rice, pasta and wheat flour||Asparagus, cauliflower, spinach||Red meats, white meats, sausage, sausage, bacon, preeunto|
|Milk, yogurt, butter and cheeses||Mushrooms||Viscera such as liver, kidney and gizzard|
|eggs||Whole grains: whole wheat flour, whole wheat bread, wheat bran, oats||Fish with lots of fat: anchovies, sardines, salmon, mackerel, trout, herring|
|Chocolate and cocoa||—||Seafood: crab, shrimp, mussels, roe and caviar|
|Coffee and teas||—||Alcoholic beverages, especially beer|
Meats, fish and foods with a medium purine content should be consumed in moderation, including only small amounts in the daily diet. However, liver and other animal organs should be avoided.
Tips to reduce uric acid
To help reduce uric acid, you should consume at least 2 liters of water a day and increase your intake of diuretic foods such as watermelon, cucumber, celery and garlic as they help to eliminate excess of this substance through the kidneys.
In addition, one should also increase the consumption of foods rich in vitamin C such as orange, pineapple and acerola, as this vitamin also helps in the elimination of acid through the urine.
The following is an example of a 3-day menu to help control uric acid levels in the blood:
- Breakfast: orange juice + 1 white bread with cheese
- Morning snack: 1 natural yogurt + 3 biscuits Maria
- Lunch / Dinner: 80g of chicken steak acebolado + 6 cabbage. of rice soup + green salad of lettuce, tomato and cucumber + 1 slice of pineapple;
- Afternoon snack: 1 glass of avocado vitamin + 3 toast with ricotta.
- Breakfast: 1 cup of coffee with milk + 4 toast with butter + 1 slice of papaya;
- Morning snack: 1 apple + 2 nuts;
- Lunch / Dinner: Pasta made with 80g ground beef and tomato sauce + rocket salad with carrot + 1 tangerine;
- Afternoon snack: 1 natural yogurt + 1 white bread with 1 slice of cheese.
- Breakfast: 200 ml of natural yoghurt + 1 tapioca with cheese + 1 banana;
- Morning snack: 1 cup of green juice of cabbage;
- Lunch: 1 soy hamburger + 1 egg + 5 cabbage. rice + braised salad of broccoli, tomato, onion and eggplant;
- Afternoon snack: banana vitamin + 6 cracker crackers.
It is also important to remember that the consumption of sugar-rich products such as soft drinks, artificial juices, sweets and cookies should be reduced, because as the diet for uric acid should be poor in whole foods, excess carbohydrates and sugars may favor the diseases.