What’s Levitra history?
Prior to 2005 Levitra was co-produced/marketed by three pharmaceutical manufacturers, which were Schering-Plough, Bayer Pharmaceuticals, and GlaxoSmithKline. In 2005 in many markets outside of the United States, the co-produced/marketed rights of GlaxoSmithKline were returned to Bayer Pharmaceuticals.
For example GlaxoSmithKline sells this medication as Vivanza and Bayer Pharmaceuticals sells it as Levitra in Italy. Because of European Union trade rules parallel imports could result in Levitra being sold next to Vivanza in the European Union.
In the beginning many people were skeptical about this new erectile dysfunction medication but now it is being bought by almost everyone having this problem. Several standard procedures were first applied before it could be accepted in many countries but in most cases it was approved as safe so the citizens of these countries could use it.
How does Levitra work?
Levitra belongs to a class of medications called PDE5 inhibitors. Generic Levitra is called Vardenafil. It is also manufactured under the brand name Staxyn.
It works by encouraging the blood flow to the penis. With erectile dysfunction men have been found to have degraded smooth muscle cells on the walls of the blood vessels that line their penis’s erectile tissue. This is caused by a group of enzymes, which are called phosphodiesterase.
When a man takes Levitra it blocks the degrading actions of the enzymes to help promote the healthier flow of blood to that area. Although it is mostly used to help a man gain an erection it can also be prescribed for premature ejaculation so the medication will help to prolong the time between penetration and when they ejaculate.
How long does Levitra last?
It has a half life of four to six hours. A half life is the time it takes for your body to get rid of half of the dosage of the medicine from your blood stream.
How to use it?
Although the directions state to only take it once a day Levitra should only be taken when it is needed for sexual activity. The reason that a man does not need to take it every day is because their body does not require a fixed supply of the medication for it to work.
How to take it?
It is normally taken sixty minutes before having sex so it will give the medication time to be absorbed into the system and target the penile area. The medication is fast acting so a man should experience results rather quickly.
You can take it on an empty or full stomach with a full class of water. You should not take it more than once a day so make sure that twenty-four hours have passed between doses. Make sure that you are taking the medication as prescribed by your physician.
What is the dosage?
It is available in four different dosages, which are 2.5, 5, 10, and 20 milligrams. In most cases the 10 milligrams is what the physician prescribes because this dosage is almost equivalent to the 50 milligram tablets of Viagra.
If you have no side effects your physician can then raise the dosage to 20 milligrams. If you have adverse side effects your physician may reduce it to 5 milligrams. When using the generic Levitra the initial dosage is 5 milligrams for those who are 65 years old or older.
Does Levitra work and have effective results?
Yes it does work and have effective results. It is one of the leading erectile dysfunction medications sold today. In order for it to have effective results you must have some type of sexual stimulation occurring because an erection will not just happen by taking the medication.
What are the side effects?
There are some side effects that can occur that may not need medical attention while there are others where you need to seek immediate medical care or to call your physician. As your body begins to adjust to the medication these common side effects may go away. Your physician may be able to tell you ways you can reduce or prevent some of the side effects.
Some of the more common side effects can include:
- Stuffy nose
- Feeling of redness and warmth of your neck, face, arms, and upper chest occasionally.
- Back pain
- Upset stomach
Some of the major side effects where you should get immediate medical help or contact your physician can include:
- Painful erection or one that lasts more than four hours.
- Sudden vision loss.
- Become nauseated or dizzy during intercourse.
- Have numbness, pain, or tingling in your arms, jaw, neck, or chest, sweating, or other heart attack symptoms
- Breathing difficulties like shortness of breath
- Ringing in your ears
- Irregular heart beat
- Sudden swelling of your throat, face, tongue, or lips, or feet, hands, or ankles.
What are the precautions?
- Make sure that you tell your physician all the medications you are on, including any herbal supplements.
- Make sure that you are avoiding any use of grapefruit products.
When taking Levitra do not take any other medications to treat erectile dysfunction unless you are told to do so by your physician.
One of the main features of Levitra is that men can use it safely along with alcohol unlike Pfizer Viagra and the Cialis brand that are recommended to avoid alcohol with.
What are the contraindications?
- If you have any pre-existing eye problems or have any risk factors for blood vessel disorders like high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, over the age of fifty, taking this medication can decrease the blood flow to the optic nerve of your eye.
- It is not to be used by women
- Should not take Levitra if you are taking nitrates
- Should not take if you have any cardiovascular medical conditions
- Uncontrolled high or low blood pressure
- Unstable angina
- Under the age of sixteen
- Those who take HIV protease inhibitors
Benefits of buying Levitra online instead of local pharmacy
- More discreet
- If is mailed to your home
- It is less expensive to buy it online than at a pharmacy
- You do not have to get a full prescription but can purchase them in as few as ten in an order.
- You do not have to be embarrassed to take this to your pharmacy and have it filled, especially by a woman pharmacist.
Conclusion and editor review
Levitra is sold in many countries and is one of the leading erectile dysfunction medications sold. It is a prescription that many men request from their physician. The common side effects are low and if you have any side effects the physician can adjust your medication accordingly. Also a lower dosage of Levitra is the same as a higher dosage of Viagra so when taking Levitra you can take a lower dosage but still have the strength of a higher dosage of Viagra.